The start of Spring always fills our home with excitement. After being cooped up inside for months the kids can get outside and release the pent up energy that’s been brewing for months. I eagerly anticipate the days where I can get my hands dirty in my garden. There is something about digging in the garden that is food for the soul. Wouldn’t you agree? Unfortunately, until all of the snow melts and the soil warms up the only dirt I will be dealing with is that which I encounter while doing my Spring cleaning.
It’s quite mind boggling how much dirt and grime can accumulate over the winter months. I am thankful that this Spring I have my essential oils to turn to. They help me cut through the grease and grime naturally, and leave my home fresh and clean and smelling great.
9 Spring Cleaning Tips with Essential Oils
1. Microwave—Microwaves are notorious for being tough to clean, especially after mishaps involving spaghetti sauce or tomato soup. To ease the pain of cleaning, simply microwave a cup filled with water and a few drops of Lemon, then wipe clean! Check out this post to see how effective it really is.
2. Dishwasher—When is the last time you cleaned your dishwasher? Pour distilled vinegar into a dish and add 5–10 drops of Lemon oil. Place this dish in your empty dishwasher and run on high.
3. Stove Top & Appliances—Lemon oil makes cleaning some of the dirtiest areas of the kitchen easy. Add vinegar, water, and Lemon to a spray bottle, and watch the grime disappear!
4. Ceiling Fan—Fan blades collect dust at turbo speeds and cling to them for as long as you let them. To avoid choking on dust bunnies while cleaning your ceiling fans, spray the inside of an old pillow case with a Lemon/water mixture and loop the fabric around each blade.
5. Washing Machine—Run a mixture of Lemon oil, baking soda, vinegar, and water through your empty machine on the hottest setting to break up dirt build-up and mildew. Scrub any excess with a sponge, then run the machine again with fresh water.
6. Trash Cans—Regularly cleaning out trash cans can eliminate odor. For indoor trash cans, spray the inside and outside of each can with a mixture of water, Lemon oil, and vinegar, then scrub with a sponge. After your trash can is clean, put a folded newspaper at the bottom and add a few drops of your favourite essential oil to the newspaper. This will keep your trash can smelling great. My favourite oil to use is Purify. This oil will keep the odours at bay and will leave you smiling every time you have to take out the trash.
7. Windows and Windowsills—The same mixture of Lemon oil, water, and vinegar in a spray bottle that you’ve been using all around the house will do wonders for your windows and windowsills. Simply spray glass and wipe with a clean cloth or paper towel, finally move onto ledges and sills with a toothbrush or damp sponge.
8. Air Vents—One of the most overlooked areas to keep clean in your home is the air you breathe! Clean vents with a sponge dipped in warm water, vinegar, and Lemon oil. This will help eliminate allergens and dust from filling the air around you.
9. Wood Furniture – Keeping your wood furniture in pristine condition requires polishing it every few months. You can create your own polish by combining 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup vinegar and 10 drops of doTERRA essential oil (Wild Orange, Arborvitae or Lemon) in an 8-ounce spray bottle. Shake well before each use. Apply to a microfiber cloth and wipe down surfaces to keep your wood furniture looking its best.
What is your favourite essential oil cleaning tip?