My guess is that you’ve purchased or are thinking of purchasing the Beginner’s Trio from doTERRA because you’re interested in using essential oils and thought that would be a good place to start. Well you’re right! Lemon, Peppermint and Lavender are the three basic oils and a great place to start off on your essential oil journey.
Whether it’s to soothe a sore stomach, get a more restful sleep, or calm down a kiddo, the Beginner’s Trio has you covered. It’s pretty much guaranteed that one of these oils will make an appearance at least once a day in my home.
But now what? Where do you put them, and why? I know it can be really overwhelming, you want to use them, but how??? Well, the first step is to take the cap off the bottle and take a sniff. 🙂
Top 10 List of Uses for the Beginner’s Trio
- Take the Itch Out of Bug Bites. Stop scratching! A drop or two directly on the itchy area, will help take away the itch, swelling and redness.
- Get Some Shut Eye. – Put a drop or two on your pillow (or stuffed animal for the little ones) and breathe in deeply. This will have you drifting off to the land of nod in no time.
- Poo-Pourie. – For a natural air freshener in the washroom, add a drop of lavender to the inside of your toilet paper roll. Every time someone needs to wipe, the room will be instantly freshened.
- Soak Away the Stress. We all know life can get a bit crazy sometimes. If you need to unwind, run yourself a hot bath, add a few drops of lavender and just let the worries of the day melt away.
- Bye-Bye Boo Boo’s. The next time you or your child gets a cut or scrape, it’s lavender to the rescue. Lavender has great disinfecting properties, and it’s very gentle, just a drop or two will help clean and disinfect the cut.
- Natural Laundry Freshener. Skip the dryer sheet next time you throw a load in the dryer. Just put a few drops of Lavender on a damp cloth and add to your laundry. This is great to do with your bedding!
- Refresh Your Mattress. Add 10 drops of lavender to a 4 ounce spray bottle of water and spritz your mattress, for a better nights sleep.
- Better for Burns. If you’ve burned yourself taking something out of the oven, a drop of lavender on the area will have you feeling better in no time.
- Clear Your Mind. Apply lavender to the temples and back of neck to lessen the effects of stress and anxiety and to promote mental clarity.
- Natural Aftershave. Put a few drops in your hand, rub together and pat on the shaved area, to lessen the feelings of razor burn.
- Put Some Pep in Your Step. If you’re tired, but the day isn’t done, try inhaling peppermint right out of the bottle. It’ll have you back at it in no time.
- Tame that Tension Headache. Is your head pounding? Apply peppermint oil to your temples, back of your neck, and across your forehead for some much needed relief. Just make sure you don’t get it in your eyes.
- Breath Freshener. Add 1-2 drops of peppermint to a glass of water, for a refreshing drink, and a natural way to freshen your breath.
- Cool Down Spray. Add 8-10 drops of peppermint to a 4 ounce spray bottle and keep it near you when you exercise. When you get hot, just spritz yourself and feel the cooling benefits of peppermint. (Great for when you’re on the treadmill.)
- Repel Ants. Ants do not like peppermint, especially when you spray it on their homes! Add 10-15 drops of peppermint to a gallon of water and spray the ant hill. A few applications may be needed to rid them for good.
- Study Smarter. Research has found that inhaling peppermint while studying and during the tests, can help you preform better on tests and exams.
- Be a Better Baker. Chocolate and peppermint are fabulous together. Next time you bake a batch of brownies add 3 drops of peppermint oil for an extra special surprise.
- Treat your Tootsies. If you’ve been on your feet all day, massage a few drops of peppermint on your feet to take away the tension.
- Feel Full, Faster. The aroma of peppermint oil has the ability to make you feel full, faster…especially if you breathe it in during a meal!
- Luscious Lather. Add a drop of peppermint oil to your shampoo and conditioner to stimulate your scalp, energize and wake up. This antiseptic oil can also help with dandruff and lice.
- Hangover Helper. Had a few too many last night? Add a few drops of lemon to your water. The cleansing properties will help rid your system of the leftover alcohol.
- Get Rid of the Sticky. Lemon essential oil is excellent for removing sticker residue. sticky tree sap and permanent marker. It even gets gum out of hair!
- A Natural Disinfectant. Skip the harsh kitchen sprays and use lemon oil instead. Add a 8-10 drops to a 4 ounce spray bottle with water and vinegar, for an all natural kitchen cleaner.
- A Cure for the Forgotten Laundry. Have you left your laundry in the washing machine for a bit too long? We’ve all been there. Just rewash with a few drops of lemon oil and your clothes will lose that nasty smell.
- Liven up your Water. Add 1-2 drops of lemon essential oil to a glass of water for a refreshing, thirst-quenching drink.
- Flavour Boost. Add 1-2 drops of lemon essential oil next time you’re cooking with lemon juice for a deeper flavour. (Think Lemon Meringue Pie, Salmon on the BBQ, Marinades)
- Soothe Your Throat. The antibacterial, antiseptic and antimicrobial properties of lemon will help soothe a sore throat. Add a drop to a teaspoon of honey and let it dissolve in your mouth.
- Hair Highlights …Chemical Free. Skip the expensive salon highlight treatment, and use lemon oil to create your own hair highlights. To create streaks add a drop on your fingers, run down the length of your hair. Do one or two, or more, you be the judge. Just be careful, it works well! Once you’ve applied the oil, go out in the sun and let it do it’s work. You’ll be blessed with sun-kissed hair!
- A Brighter Complexion. Lemon oil can help remove dead skin cells and exfoliate your skin. For a homemade exfoliant, add 4-5 drops to a small amount of oatmeal and water for a homemade scrub. Feels great!
- Liven up with Lemon. Life got you down? Inhaling the aroma of lemon essential oil can help life your mood, and lessen feelings of anxiety.
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by Health Canada and the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
These are a few of the ways I like to use the Beginner’s Trio. How about you? What is your favorite ways to use these 3 oils?