What do you do when you gotta go, but can’t. It’s the worst, isn’t it! Constipation isn’t something we talk openly about, but it does happen to each of us at one point or another.
I had typed out a bunch of the different symptoms of constipation, but decided to delete it. Something about talking about having to strain to get your shit out made me reconsider my post…I think if you’ve found your way here, you already know what’s going on and you’re looking for a way to get things moving again.
Here are a few natural remedies you can try to get relief of your constipation.
- Drink more water! Now this isn’t going to give you instant relief but it will certainly help to stop this from happening in the future.
- Eat more soluble fibre! Think nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, bran, barley, and peas, as well as some fruits and vegetables. They absorb water and form a gel-like paste, which will soften up your poop and improve it’s consistency.
- Eat Prunes! Grandma was right. Prunes can actually get things moving and may be more beneficial than fibre as they contain the natural laxative sorbitol. If you’re constipated, prunes could be the easiest natural solution available.
- Exercise more! I can almost guarantee any runner can recount one or more stories of making a pit stop in the woods. Exercise gets your digestive system working!!
- Drink Coffee! Coffee with caffeine also stimulates the digestive system. Like we needed another reason to drink a cuppa joe.
- Probiotics can help! Studies have shown that people with chronic constipation have an imbalance of bacteria in their gut. A recent review found that probiotics seem to treat functional constipation by increasing the frequency of bowel movements and improving stool consistency. Check out my favourite brand here.
- Essential Oils to the rescue! There are many oils that can help, but I can personally vouch for a combination of Rosemary & Peppermint. Just rub 2 drops of each with some Fractionated Coconut Oil on your belly before bed. You should find some relief in the morning.
There are other solutions to this problem but the should be used as a last resort so I’ve decided to leave them off this list.
If this is an ongoing issue for you please contact your doctor so they can determine the underlying cause.
Constipation is no joke. A real shitty situation. I hope the above tips will help you get some relief.