Have you ever been here before? Your yoga session starts out, you’re in the groove, thoughts are melting away and you’re at peace with the world. Ahhh. Up next is Cobra. Now you’re belly down on your mat in Cobra and what in the hell is that smell? It’s your stinky yoga mat. Then you hope no one else can smell it. Not exactly what should be going on in your mind when you’re in the middle of your vinyasa.
Yes, yoga mats can get nasty, but cleaning them doesn’t have to be. You “could” use your standard household cleaner, but how are you going to feel when you get a whiff of that?
I love this spray that you can make at home, using two very common essential oils. Tea Tree and Lavender. Both oils have cleansing properties, so you’ll be disinfecting your mat. The lavender oil will help you relax, and help you”get into it”.
Yoga Mat Cleansing Spray
- 3/4 cup distilled water
- 1/4 cup alcohol-free witch hazel or white vinegar
- 5 drops Lavender essential oil
- 3 drops Tea Tree/ Melaleuca essential oil
- Glass spray bottle
- Combine all ingredients in glass spray bottle.
- Shake until combined.
- To use, spray on mat and wipe dry with towel.
If you would like to incorporate more oils into your session here are a few examples that can help bring a new level of awareness to your practice.
- Apply InTune® at the beginning of class to help set your focus.
- Rub a drop of doTERRA Breathe® on your chest.
- For a more invigorating practice, diffuse Wild Orange and Peppermint.
- Diffuse doTERRA Serenity® for a more calming practice.
- Apply a drop of Frankincense or Sandalwood to your temples during meditation to help you relax and reduce stress.
- Apply doTERRA Balance® to the back of your neck during Savasana to help with relaxation.
What are your favourite essential oils to use during your yoga practice?